Sunday, February 3, 2013

Free Printable Patternmaking Tools

Sorry, about the late post!  I got bombarded with a bunch of sewing requests (alterations, etc...) the past couple weeks.  Also, I am working on a measurement chart.  My drawing skills have gone down hill, so it is taking a bit longer than I want. 

In the mean time, I started on some printable patternmaking tools.  I am working on imperial and metric versions of a right triangle/compass, curve stick, and a french curve.  I have these tools already in my sewing kit, but I thought printable versions would be nice to have in case I lose or break something that I am not able to replace right away.  They are easily portable, as well.

I finished an Imperial Right Triangle/Compass today.  I will keep updating this post as I complete them throughout the week. (Update 02/04/2013: Finished Metric Right Triangle/Compass. 02/05/2013: Finished French Curve. 02/27/2013: Finished Metric & Imperial Hip Curve.)

Imperial Right Triangle & Compass
Metric Right Triangle & Compass
 French Curve
Metric Hip Curve
Imperial Hip Curve
Make sure that your "Page Scaling" is set to "None"
or it will not print at the correct size.
Double check using a ruler.
 Here is a picture demonstrating how to use it as a compass to make a curve or circle.
Here is a picture of what the French Curve looks like.
Metric Hip Curve.
 ~Jam

36 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this..I'm a novice myself and have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I definitely have a long way to go as well! Good luck to you! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot - this is much appreciated! First home-made skirt coming up... in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Ditto for me! I keep getting other projects that come up for others, but hopefully I can start on my own drafting and sewing projects soon! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. OMGosh, you're a needle and mind saver! I just realized I should search for a way to make my own French curves after reading the actual mathematical formulae for creating my own and realizing I'd have to write a computer program to do so. ARGH! NOT. Yours wasn't the first item that came up with Google but it was the first I saw that had the actual PRINTABLE ones! Great job and THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I thought it would be nice to have just simple paper ones so they could easily be carried anywhere. I am always carrying too much stuff with me so this helps lighten the load. ;)

      Delete
  4. Thank you jam, i've been looking this for ages

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you this is the first actual printable hip curve I've seen. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you for your comment. I appreciate the feedback. :D

      Delete
  6. First of all, you rock; second of all, it is great to see how many people appreciate you posting these... I sure do!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an extremely kind comment! I truly value the feedback and comments. It took me quite awhile to make these, so it is nice to know they are working out well for everyone. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. I am new to sewing; my wife bought me a machine for Christmas and I'm looking for help. hahah So, I was looking up how to make a pattern for a french curve ruler and there was your site. Too cool. I'll be back and I've already spread the word out... thanks much. Peace, out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great! My husband is going to try his hand at sewing as well. We are going to be making jackets together for his first project. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  8. You rock the casbah. I was hesitating to buy a French curve then wondered aloud if Google could help. And found you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really makes me happy to know these printables are so helpful to other sewing and patternmaking enthusiasts! :D

      Delete
  9. Thank you for these! I was looking to save a few bucks and make my own french curve. This is perfect! Thank you :) I blog and share my projects here: http://bravefelicity.blogspot.com/search/label/DIY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hesitated to purchase the curves without knowing how much I would use them. Your files are perfect for learning and I may never purchase the plastic ones. How kind of you to share.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are excellent! I downloaded all of these for my wife's quilting and my son's art class, except for the Metric Triangle. The download permissions settings for that one wouldn't allow it. The details tab for that file says:

    DOWNLOAD PERMISSION
    Viewers cannot download

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I am glad they were able to help your family. I updated the Metric Triangle file. You should be able to download it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for this. You sure are a kind woman. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you for the kind compliment!

      Delete
  14. This is just exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for these printables have been looking them for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for these printables have been looking them for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for these! I have never thought of using a right triangle for a compass. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete